[pct-l] VVR Resupply information in PCT Handbook

I agree with Tangent's post completely, see my comments:

1.  VVR is a fun and friendly place to stay and you really do not mind
spending the money.  The food is pretty good, and the company is
wonderful.  If you exercise extreme self-control, you do not HAVE to
eat there, which can save you a lot of cash, if thats a concern.  The
first night in the tent cabin is free too, so they really do not gouge
you at all. The $10 fee to hold your package is very reasonable and
much less than most places.  If you've ever made the drive to VVR, you
will think that the $10 is a great deal to pick up the mail for you.
The drive takes about 2.5 hrs to go something like 50 miles.

2.  The Muir Trail Ranch really does not cater to hikers that much.
Their main source of income is catering to groups/families who rent out
the entire ranch for weeks at a time for thousands of dollars.  Hikers
are petty cash to them.  They do charge a large handling fee, but as I
noted above, its not unreasonable considering how difficult it is to
get packages to the Ranch.  Driving to the Muir Trail ranch is
supposedly even more difficult than driving to VVR, as the road is like
40 miles of unpaved rocky jeep trails.  Alternatively, you can arrange
to stay at the Muir Trail ranch as a hiker if your schedule happens to
coincide with their "short stay" cvalendar, which is only two weeks out
of the entire year.  If your schedule coincides with theirs, you can
pay $115 for a tent cabin or $125 for a log cabin.  Both come with
three meals, so many would argue that its about the same as VVR.

3.  Red's Meadow is nice, but Tangent is right: the restaurant is
somewhat disappointing.  Even the burgers are less than average.  They
reminded me of school hamburgers.  The bus up to Mammoth is well orth
the trip if you have the time and money, especially if you are hungry.
Mammoth has just about every type of food you could imagine: Pizza,
Seafood, Steak Houses, Fast Food, Thai food, or whatever you like.
Additionally, there si a hostel in Mammoth that is very reasonably
priced and very nice to stay in.  I forget the name, but it has group
sleeping quarters and group showers that are separated according to
gender.  They also have a full kitchen, cable TV, and plenty of restful
space with couches, lounge chairs, etc.  Conversely, if you get a cabin
a Red's, its about $100.  Apparently, Tom Hanks is a huge fan of Red's
and makes a trip there with his family once a year, so if you stay
there, you have at least some chance of a "brush with greatness".

peace,
dude