[pct-l] RE: Ticks

I have hiked in areas in the Sierra and other places near Sacramento where I
have encountered ticks.  My method of preventing tick bites is to spray the
legs of zip off pants with a permethrin spray intended for clothing only.
The spray seems to be effective for 3-4 days and then gradually wears off.
Sometimes I spray the top section too, but I reason that most ticks tend to
attach themselves at the lower level.  If I encounter an area that appears
likely to contain ticks, I put the legs back on, walk through, and check my
pants for ticks often.  It seems to deter most of them, although there are
sometimes a few hardy individuals who seem to be immune to the effects of
the spray.  I also like to wear light colored pants so I can see them
crawling up my legs.  When I am in shorts mode, which I prefer, but to each
his own, I can usually feel them crawling up my legs.  It has been my
experience that regular repellents, such as 3m Ultrathon, have almost no
effect on ticks, even though it says otherwise on the tube.

Welcome back C-Web, now kick some butt.
John Coyle