[pct-l] Re: Unleaded Gas in Whisperlite Stove

Michael

We used an MSR X-GK stove on our thru-hike last year and did not have a
problem getting white gas for it. The only place where we were lucky was at
Shelter Cove in Oregon where we took the last white gas they had. We used
about 1 litre of fuel a week - cooking an evening meal and a morning drink
for 2 of us.
At most places we came to there was a 'hiker can' in the store so we would
fill up our bottle(s). Where there was not a hiker can we bought a gallon
and left the rest to be used by those behind us on the trail. I think we
bought 3 gallons on the trip.

As for the use of gasoline in the stove: I know the X-GK comes with 2 jets.
 Quoting from a recent MSR leaflet:
"Use the GK jet for white gas, kerosene, automobile gasoline and aviation
(AV) gas. Use the X jet for diesel, poor quality kerosene and other low
quality fuels that burn with a sooty, yellow flame when using the GK jet."
An older leaflet about the XGK II shaker jet stove says:
"Use the SG jet for white gas, automobile gasoline and aviation (AV) gas.
Use the SK jet for kerosene, diesel and jet fuel".
So this implies that white gas and automobile gasoline have similar
characteristics for the stove if you can only find gasoline. I've never
gasoline in my stove. I've used kerosene but that works better with some
priming stuff.

I can go into more detail on where we got white gas offline if you like.

Alistair