[pct-l] 12 pounder challenge

< One question - I've always carried between 28 and 32 oz. of food per
day depending on the time of year and trail conditions but I noticed
that you only pack 24 oz. per day.  Are you able to hike comfortably on
that supply?  >>

 Funny you should ask! I have a chart from a website that says for 8 hours a
day of backpacking, I need about 4400 calories a day (assuming 35 pounds total
weight on my back). If I ate pure carbs, that equates to 1100 grams or 38
ounces. If half the calories came from fat (lots of nuts and potato chips) thats
794 grams or 27 ounces. So I could get by on just over  a pound and a half of
food IF half my calories were fat AND I only hiked 8 hours a day.
   Gee, no wonder I lost so much weight on my thu hike. In conclusion, I
should probably be carrying a little over two pounds of day of food on my back
pack trips, if I want to hike more than 8 hours a day (15 miles)
   David C