[pct-l] INTRO and QUESTION RE: "EARLY ENTRY INTO THE SIERRA"

Right now the Sierra, according to the snotel data, is at or above average
in snow.  What happens in the spring is anyone's guess.  Last year it was
a below average year until the late spring, when several storm brought the
snow up to average.  I left Kennedy Meadows on June 10 and crossed
Forrester pass on June 14th (where the snow starts) after a walk up of
Whitney.  Getting through wasn't a super big deal, but I was glad to have
an axe with me. Snowshoes or crampons would not have helped all that much.
The front runners (those who went in June 1 or earlier) had a more
difficult time and the very first needed snowshoes.

In terms of mileage.  If you are going to walk up Whitney, figure on
3 days from Kennedy Meadows to Crabtree or Guitar.  It is 60 or 64 miles,
which you won't feel like doing in 2 days. You probably want to go up
Whitney in the early AM, and then come down, rest, and possibly hike on.
I came down, slept, and then hiked to Tyndall Creek, where there is a bear
box.  Then, get over Forrester and Glen passes the next and down to
Woods Crossing(?) where there is a bear box.  Next day, over Pinchot and
Mather and down to Upper Palisades Lake (*wow*).  Next day, get up and
over Muir Pass.  Then, over Selden pass, including the easy ford of
Evolution and the hard ford of Bear Creek.  Next day, easy walk to
Lake Edison and the boat to VVR (don't be daft and walk it).  This worked
out fairly well for me, and most of the days after Whitney were in the
low 20s, though some were in the upper 20s.  Some days were bastard
hard, others pretty cush.  Note that after I cleared Yosemite, I cruised
along at 30+ a day, so unless you are really committed, the Sierra takes
time.  A lot of that time is from getting lost, so if you are an
exceptional map reader with a little ESP, you might get through faster.
A low snow year would help, a higher one will slow you.  Take 10 days
of food plus one for Whitney to be sure.

Suge`

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics
Indiana University