[pct-l] INTRO and QUESTION RE: "EARLY ENTRY INTO THE SIERRA"

At 01:48 PM 2/26/2004 -0500, larry tyler wrote:
>We have ice axes (Grivel air tech) and training and practice in self
>arrest.  We have Stubai ultralight 10 point aluminum crampons.  Are these
>adequate for an early entry into the Sierra?  Is there any additional
>benefit to 12 point crampons or steel crampons?  Neither Sandy or I have
>the technical skills for vertical ice climbing.  We do not plan on taking
>climbing harnesses or ice tools etc.

In 2002, I went with just an ice axe and entered the High Sierra in the
first week of June. This year I'll be adding crampons and expect I'll do
fine. Unless you get very creative, there should be no vertical ice
climbing on your PCT hike.

>In our winter training on the AT, Sandy has become convinced of the value
>of snowshoes.  She has a pair of Atlas with sort of a mini crampon ice
>gripping device on the bottom.  Our question is in regards to an early
>entry into the Sierra; are snowshoes a necessity?

By June the snow will be iced over from repeated thawing and re-freezing. I
don't think snowshoes would be much help in this icy, sun-cupped snow.
Post-holing happens in the afternoon as the sun warms the snow, but I
didn't find it too tedious when I went through. Crampons, however, could be
very useful. Few take them, though. Still, I want to enter the Sierra
around the same time as yourself and feel more comfortable with them.

You could see snow earlier, but I'm hoping to not see any before the Sierra.

>Finally, could someone estimate what the percentage of normal travel would
>be possible through the snow.  When we have hiked in the Sierra in
>July-Sept on a full fay of hiking we are able to do 25 miles.  With an
>early entry would 16-20 miles/day be reasonable or would this be
>optimistic?  This info would be helpful in figuring our food requirements
>from KM to VVR.

I don't think it's so significant you need to factor in extra food for the
snow. Even in early June, assuming a normal snow year, most of the snow
should be on the northern slopes of the passes. There are many re-supply
options in the High Sierra, too. Many hikers went out to Lone Pine, Bishop,
Independence and Mammoth Lakes for extra food when they were not planning
to do so.

A 20 mile day in the southern part of the Sierra Nevada is a challenging
day, snow or not. It's not unrealistic, just challenging. At least I find
it so. You might wish to consider re-supplying at Independence to cut down
on food weight. The hike over Kearsarge Pass to Onion Valley is scenic and
there always seems to be a friendly person at Onion Valley willing to take
a hiker to Independence. Hitching to Lone Pine from Independence for the
market and Pizza is not so bad, either.

Tangent