[pct-l] INTRO and QUESTION RE: "EARLY ENTRY INTO THE SIERRA"

My name is Larry Tyler.  I am 54 years old.  My wife Sandy(44 y/o) and I are
in the process of planning our attempt to thru hike the PCT this April.  We
are both Michigan natives.  Since I retired in August of 2002 we have a
nomadic lifestyle.  Sandy continues to work part time as a travelling
medical ultrasonographer, leaving us plenty of time for backpacking and
steelhead fishing.  Currently we are in Virginia until the end of February.
This has given us the opportunity to train on the ice and snow on the AT in
Shenandoah National Park.

My first backpacking trip in 1979 was a 10 day cross country trek in Denali
NP.  I fell in love with the Alaskan wilderness and the following summer
went back for a 12 day trip in the Brooks range.  I have not been back to
Alaska but during the last 7 summers Sandy and I have hiked throughout the
western U.S.  It is difficult to choose a favorite area but a few that stick
out are the Sierra, the Cascades and the Sonoran desert.

I first heard about the PCT in the early 80's but work and family
responsibilities precluded any serious thoughts about a thru hike.  However
the idea of an 'epic journey' kept rumbling around my head.
We now have the time and resources to begin that journey.  We are planning
on leaving Campo the day before the kickoff party.  We will hike at our
normal pace and if it is a normal to low snow year enter the Sierra from
Kennedy Meadows whenever we arrive (estimate June 1).  This is where we
would like some help from the veterans of PCT travel.

We have ice axes (Grivel air tech) and training and practice in self arrest.
  We have Stubai ultralight 10 point aluminum crampons.  Are these adequate
for an early entry into the Sierra?  Is there any additional benefit to 12
point crampons or steel crampons?  Neither Sandy or I have the technical
skills for vertical ice climbing.  We do not plan on taking climbing
harnesses or ice tools etc.

In our winter training on the AT, Sandy has become convinced of the value of
snowshoes.  She has a pair of Atlas with sort of a mini crampon ice gripping
device on the bottom.  Our question is in regards to an early entry into the
Sierra; are snowshoes a necessity?  or are snowshoes a convenience which
would make the trip easier, more enjoyable ie. less postholing?  We tend to
travel llightweight: base pack weight 12-13 lbs. (during summer trips)  If
snowshoes are more of a convenience, consider the additional weight (3 lbs.)
vs. expected benefits.

Finally, could someone estimate what the percentage of normal travel would
be possible through the snow.  When we have hiked in the Sierra in July-Sept
on a full fay of hiking we are able to do 25 miles.  With an early entry
would 16-20 miles/day be reasonable or would this be optimistic?  This info
would be helpful in figuring our food requirements from KM to VVR.

Thanks to all

Larry Tyler

Click, drag and drop. My MSN is the simple way to design your homepage.