[pct-l] Hotels in Independence, CA?

In a message dated 2/18/2004 5:35:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
brentramsby-pct@yahoo.com writes:

> We stayed at the Independence Courthouse Motel last year.  They were
> very hiker-friendly.  Nice rooms too! There's a local shuttle service
> that will take you back to the trailhead, but it's pricey.

Yeah, we stayed here too.  I can't recall what day of the week it was, but we
tried to hitch for about an hour or so and finally gave up.  Three of us
split a $20 shuttle fee to get back provided my the motel people.  I'm not sure if
they always provide the service.  Going into town, don't be shy and just ask
anyone headed that way from the parking area.

I know you're hiking the JMT, but you'll find many PCT hikers skipping
Independance prefering to stay on the trail proper.  I thought about it a little
differently and it only added to my experience.  The Kearsarge Pass trail a
fairly easy and incredibly scenic.

Sly