[pct-l] Mt. Whitney and the white mountains

Slightly based in truth. Even now, with technology such as it is, I have
heard there are geologists/geographers who assert that White Mtn. Peak is
actually higher than Whitney. Since it seems a pretty simple matter of 5th
grade subtraction to figure this out, I'm sure there is a lot more to it.
Anybody out there know the story. (since this involves Whitney, perhaps it's
not totally off topic??)

Judson
Ashland

<<I heard a story about the army corps of engineers shelling the peak of
white
mtn so that whitney would be the highest peak in the lower 48.  Can't
remember which owens valley old timer told me that one though.  Smells kinda
sagey.>>