[pct-l] All about food

I also hike without using maildrops for resupply.  I had no problems in
Washington last year but Southern Oregon was tougher, I had to hitch
into Ashland, which most thruhikers probably do anyways.  (I'm hiking
Cal. this year)  My diet is also restricted because I don't eat any
dairy, including milk chocolate.  If you intend to eat cold, which I
also did for about half of my AT hike, then resupplying along the trail
is actually easier because foods to cook are harder to find than junk
food.  I like to think of myself living off of the land, 21st century
American style.  I do recommend carrying a stove during the colder
months of the trip, I consider it part of my safety gear during those
seasons.  A stove also allows you to incorporate liquid oil into your
diet, which is a light and cheap way to pack calories.  It is more
expensive to buy your food at convenience stores (I was paying $.60-.90
/ pop-tart and I can buy them here for $.17 apiece) but that increase
is somewhat offset by the postage costs of maildrops.  To me, that
extra cost is worth it because I am supporting businesses along the
trail rather than my local Walmart.  I do worry that if everybody
decided to buy local the same year, stores that are not used to
stocking those quantities would soon run out.  I should also add that I
carry a large pack, so I can carry multiple bags of chips without
crushing them.  Lots of pros and cons, but for me it
works......DoItYourself