[pct-l] sandels,,,,OH NO,,,,!

Amen to that, Brother Roy!

Another point: Have your footwear of choice professionally fitted by those properly trained to do so.
That would include the rare ability to listen to what kind of use the wearer expects to put the footwear through.

When I shopped around for my latest pair, I was originally looking for a heavyweight Vasque. The gal at REI (a very young thing who I would have never believed that she knew so much about boots) asked me questions, almost prying information out of me, about what kind of hiking I usually did. Though the trails I now hike are almost always well marked/trodden paths, my machismo convinced me that I would be returning to my college age orienteering/off trail adventures. Besides, I boasted (trying to impress the girl), I was on my way to Colorado to bag some 14'ers! I needed some serious stompers!
After admitting that just about all my trips for the past year (or two...or three...) have been to our local mountains (I'm the guy who takes his pack onto the Tram from Palm Springs), the gal indulged me by fitting a few heavy weights, then deviously suggested I try on some mid-weights.
Wow. Besides the fact that the mid-height boots eliminated the annoying rub at the top front of my ankles, the construction of the boot made it feel like it was as broken in as my beat up (but beloved) old pair! And waterproof???!!!

I bought the Montrail Torre GTX. I love `em! Light, comfortable, sticks to granite slabs like goat hooves. And they are DAMN cool lookin'!

While fitting them, I was repeatedly asked to wiggle around on the incline board. She laced them up and told me to get back on the incline while she made a couple adjustments in the lacing pattern. This kid knew her stuff!

And I can honestly say that I have NEVER gotten a blister hiking. Of course, I don't to the 20+ mile days that "you crazy thru-hikers" do...

And finally, I wear liners under my socks.

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m