[pct-l] 5 gallon bounce bucket

The paint bucket I got at Lowe's last spring, as well as the ones that
I use for homebrewing, have very, very tight lids.  They snap down very
tightly and it takes a little effort to get them off by hand, but it is
very possible.  You do not need a special tool, unless he has some sort
of extra fancy buckets.  Just pry slowly around the edges.  Taking the lid
off became progressively
easier as my summer progressed.

Suge

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Steve Setzer wrote:

> I went to the hardware store this weekend to get a 5 gallon paint bucket
> to use as a bounce box, but I was thwarted.  The regular snap on lids do
> not come off without a special tool unless you cut loose the flaps around
> the outside of the lid.  The guy at the hardware store told me that if I
> did that, the lid wouldn't close tight anymore.  So it seems like these
> lids are only meant to be used once (and this guy said they are the only
> lids he's aware of).
>
> So do you all just use a screwdriver to get these lids off?  Or maybe
> after breaking the "flaps" on the lid, it still snaps shut good enough
> (but maybe just not good enough for paint anymore).  I figured I should
> ask before buying a lid and then ruining it after one open.
>
> Steve

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics
Indiana University