[pct-l] 5 gallon bounce bucket

I went to the hardware store this weekend to get a 5 gallon paint bucket
to use as a bounce box, but I was thwarted.  The regular snap on lids do
not come off without a special tool unless you cut loose the flaps around
the outside of the lid.  The guy at the hardware store told me that if I
did that, the lid wouldn't close tight anymore.  So it seems like these
lids are only meant to be used once (and this guy said they are the only
lids he's aware of).

So do you all just use a screwdriver to get these lids off?  Or maybe
after breaking the "flaps" on the lid, it still snaps shut good enough
(but maybe just not good enough for paint anymore).  I figured I should
ask before buying a lid and then ruining it after one open.

Steve