[pct-l] Single Person Tents

> I'm looking for that perfect lightweight single person
> tent.

For the southern parts of PCT (I don't have experience in Washington) I
think Henry Shires Tarptents are really great.  Light, strong in wind,
highly bug resistant, easy to set up, etc.  I like being able to separate my
ground cloth from the rest of my shelter.  This lets me place hot/wet/etc
things inside my shelter.  The two down sides are that some crawling
creatures will get into your space and that if you are facing standing
ground water you are not as well protected as a tent with a bathtub floor.
If you really want a tent (bottom attached) you could get a tarptent with a
sewn in floor.

There are two other tents that I would highly recommend:

1) Europa II by Sixmoon designs
   http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=25
   Better than the tarptent in nasty weather

2) Warmlite 2R/2X
   http://www.warmlite.com/tents.htm
   $$$$ and overkill for PCT... great for winters in the Rockies

Other shelter options which are somewhat interesting:

1) Hennessy or Speer Hammock.  They have a fanatical following.  I haven't
tried one enough to be a convert yet :-)  I don't think they are worth the
effort in cold weather, but for most of the PCT they might be great.

2) Wanderlust gear if you don't need it fast.  Kurt has established a
reputation for being constantly backlogged and not communicating when he
will ship his tents.  If you have a year to wait, then this is a reasonable
option).  If you want it this season... Go for something else.

3) MSR zoid 1... I used this for a year before switching to a tarptent for
most trips.  3lb, nice design, easy to get in and out off.  Good size for 1.
Good in storms.  Use as a bug house in good/warm weather.  I think this is
one of the best options if you want a double walled tent.

4) Hilleberg Akto... I don't have any experience with this tent, but lots of
people see to like it

5) GoLite Trig, 3lb, room for two.  I am not sure why someone would take
this instead of the Europa II.

Of course this is always the tarp option.  I have been having pretty good
experiences with a poncho/tarp and an ultralight silnylon/quantuum bivy.

--mark