[pct-l] RE: Mt Whitney Questions

> Since Mt Whitney is so close to Sequoia National park, does the
> National Park Service have anything to do with administering it,
> or is that handled entirely by the Forest Service?

I am not entirely sure about who administers it or even if the summit
is in Sequoia National Park (SNP).  If I am not mistaken, there is a
sign at trail crest that indicates you are entering SNP, but I do not
remember for certain.

> I notice from this list and other places that people mention
> camping on the Mt Whitney summit.

yes, many people do camp on the summit.  I have done it myself.
people sometimes sleep in the hut, but there are lightning rods all
over it, so you are safer not in the hut in case of storms.

> Is that legal, and if so, is it
> advisable due to the possibility of lightning strikes?

AFAIK, its legal.  the NFS probably will say its not advisable and
there is risk if the weather is foul.  however, the Sierras get about
300 days of sunshine per year, so its very likely you will not see
any storms.  ..but you should still be cautious and alert.

> It seems
> to me, from the photos I have seen, that a person would have to
> sleep mostly on slabs of hard rock in any case.

this is true for the most part.  ther are some tiny areas that
hundreds of people have tried to make confortable, but none of it is
great.

> My brother in law hiked to the Whitney summit last year and he
> mentioned seeing a number of people obviously affected by altitude
> sickness.  I have recently hiked to the summits of Lassen Peak and
> Mt Tallac near Lake Tahoe with no evidence of altitude sickness.
> What is the likeliness of me getting sick on a peak that is so
> much higher like Mt. Whitney?

No one can tell you the likelihood of getting altitude sickness.  Not
only does it vary from person to person, it also varies from trip to
trip for the same person.  I have been to the summit of Whitney 3x
and never been sick.  On a recent JMT trip, my lack of hydration had
me sick at 9700'.  My guess is that Lassen (10,400') and Tallac
(9700') are not really good indicators of how you will do on whitney
(14,497).  just be vigilant about staying hydrated, and pay
attention.

peace,
dude