[pct-l] Re: Mt Whitney Questions

The summit of Mt. Whitney is in Sequoia National Park, and I didn't see any
evidence that the Forest Service is administering it.  It is legal to camp
there, I did so in 2002. I was on a stone slab in a hole behind the hut maybe 3
feet below ground level, but it was still quite cold due to the high wind all
night.  There were a half dozen other people there.  One group had left from
Yosemite 4 or 5 days earlier.  I think it was Flying Brian, but not sure.

Ralph Alcorn
www.backpack45.com
Shepherd Canyon Books
Publisher of We're in the Mountains, Not Over the Hill:
     Tales and Tips From Seasoned Women Backpackers