From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of
ALightner@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 12:46 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Tarptent Virga or Squall?

I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on the difference between the
Tarptent Virga and Squall.  I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to
these two; I need an enclosed, bug-proof space because my Arc Alpinist
bag lets in the critters at night, especially when I'm using it more as
a blanket than a bag.  Since I don't have the opportunity to try before
I buy, I thought I'd ask for thoughts.  I'm worried about the cramped
space in the Virga, especially with condensation concerns, but I'm all
for saving every ounce.especially on a long trip.  I tried to mimic the
dimensions of the front with current tarp, and found the space in the
Virga design confining enough that I couldn't escape contact with the
tarp (and the condensation that would accompany it on the trail), but I
doubt my jury rigged version did true justice to the design.  All
thoughts are welcome

Conor
Class of '04