[pct-l] Tahoe Rim Trail permit issues

> While we're talking about permits, does the thru
hiker permit work for the whole PCT section that is
part of the Tahoe Rim Trail? Is a separate permit
required for Desolation Wilderness especially if we
are going to camp there, or will the thru hiker permit
get us through that area? are we going to need any
other permits that are not self issuing on the TRT?
We will not have a car or back up and hitching with
goats is a problem. One of us has to stay while the
other goes anyplace.

I don't know if the PCT through hiker permit applies
to Desolation.  It's such a high-use area in the
summer that perhaps it doesn't, but I don't know.
When I thru-hiked the TRT last fall, I just needed the
permit from USFS for my first night in Desolation
(since there are quota areas).  Since I went in late
September, it was easy to get a permit - just walked
in and got one.

No other permits are required for the rest of the TRT
trail, though you must camp in one of the two
designated campsites while on the east side in the
Nevada state park area.  That's the only other
restriction I know of.

I'd also recommend joining the Tahoe Rim Trail
Assocation if you are going to thru-hike the trail, to
support all the great work they have done to build
such an amazing trail.  It's a beautiful hike - you'll
love it!