[pct-l] A Stehekin Story.

Want to share with you my experience in Stehekin last September. We started
out from Rainey Pass to do the final section of the PCT. The first day we
reached Methow Pass and decided to stay in the big meadow, with a stream, on
the South side of the Pass. Next morning The forest service were bringing
out all their horses and mules due to the fire that closed this section of
the trail. So we were turned back to Rainey Pass and we decided to hike
south to Stehekin, spend a few days there and have our transportation meet
us at Chelan.  We were unaware at the time just how Credit cards etc worked
in Stehekin, we barely had enough cash between us to get on the bus and do
the bakery stop on the way into Stehekin. (thought for sure they would have
a cash machine). They do not and they really do not like credit cards
because they cannot get them approved. No phone lines I guess.  Well as it
turned out our transportation person could not come to Chelan, the ferry did
not like Credit cards and I needed to phone my son in Seattle to come get
us.

I was waiting to use the one pay phone in town and started up a conversation
with a lady next to me, I was telling her my story ( I did have a phone
card). She told me not to go away and she would be right back.  She came
back with $200. and insisted that I take the money. Well I ended up
borrowing the money and mailed it right back to her when I got home to
Idaho. She did not want my name but I insisted that she give me her name and
address, which was not Stehekin, she was just there for a few weeks.  Talk
about a Trail Angel, we had lots of Credit Cards but no cash.....do you
think she would have done this for anyone, or was it because I am sorta old
with white hair,(not that this has ever bothered me) and that I really can
take care of myself.  So I do believe that Trail Angels and others with big
hearts are there when you need them.

Marge   [The Old Gal]
http://www.prothman.org/marge