[pct-l] Can you do it in 4?

At 02:18 AM 1/14/2004 +0000, barclayb@comcast.net wrote:
>So my real question, as a pct 2004 thru hiker who plans to attend Boston
>University in the fall as a grad student (and who therefore has to return
>by September), is:  can I really do the whole thing in 4 months?

I am applying to an MBA program myself. And, if I get accepted, I will also
have to be back by September. Last time I hiked the PCT, it took me 5
months and 1 day. Much of my time was spent enjoying the many towns along
the way. Also, I took far more zero days than I budgeted, but had so much
fun I didn't much care.

Another thing slowing me down was I kept pace with many other people.
That's tiring. You'll go far further in less time at your own pace. Keep in
mind you'll likely meet great people regardless of where you are in the
trail. The people bring up the rear are likely as interesting as the front
runners.

I consider myself an average speed hiker, neither fast nor slow. Barring
injury, you likely can do it. You should be mindful of time and don't
dawdle. Towns can take the most amount of time.

>and am i going to get screwed by mosquitos above California in July/August?

By August, I was in Oregon and no longer really noticed the mosquitoes as
much. They were out and biting. I recall this clearly because I found it
annoying that the mosquitoes in Oregon could bite through my 100 weight
fleece whereas the Sierran mosquitoes couldn't. However, for whatever
reasons, they just didn't bother me as much by August.

Though, in the High Sierra, when I went first went down into Evolution
Valley, the little buggers were raging. At that moment, my DEET and headnet
were my favorite pieces of gear.

>anybody feel me on this?

?
:)