[pct-l] Can you do it in 4?

Re: PCT in 4 months -

Phil "Donk" Preston from Sydney did it in about 4 months in 2001.  He
started at the ADZ and just kept going, despite various aches & pains.  That
said, he has a natural loping gait that seemed to propel him forward easier
than some of us lesser mortals (tic).

My .02?  Go for it!  And if you don't "complete" your through-hike -
conditions in Washington this year will contribute to the mileage and
difficulty of the section around Glacier Peak - bail out early to get to
school on time.  You will not regret the experience either way, nor will
hiking only a portion of the PCT be less rewarding than hiking the  trail
end to end.

My husband & I hiked 1500 miles of the PCT in '94, intending to hike the
whole thing.  I got injured several times (blisters, a knee sprain,
tendinitis) and we were forced to reduce our expectations for that year.
However, we've since hiked the 96-mile section from Stevens Pass to Stehekin
and are very grateful to have hiked it with bridges intact.   This leaves a
measly, oh, 1,000 +/- miles to go.  We both look forward to it - and to
hiking from Mexico to Canada again.  The experience changed both of us for
the better.

You won't know if you can do it in 4 if you don't start.  Period.

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija
Partial PCT '94