[pct-l] How much food a day do you need?

For reference ...

I started off eating really healthy snacks, but that practice went
down the shitter after i learned that i had to get most of my snack
resupplies out of gas station convenience stores.  (i was totally
sick of eating this stuff by the end of the trail)  Buying snacks out
of convenience stores most of the time also blew my monthly snack
budget since I had originally used grocery store costs to develop it.
 Oh yeah, I didn't eat many cliff / powerbars on the trip.  I was
sick of them before i even started.  The only ones I could stomach
were those dense little calorie bombs from Pemmican.

Somewhere in the archives of this list is some pretty good info on
major grocery store resupply points.  I'd keep that info handy when
it comes to putting together resupply boxes.  For any resupply point
without a decent grocery store, I'd be sure to throw in some "special
snacks" to give yourself some variety.

Ok, back to the orginal question ...

This is a relative example of what i ate most of the time.

Breakfast
- 2 cups of high calorie granola (6 varieties, 400+ cal per cup)
- organic powdered milk (http://www.organicvalley.com/)
- i bought all of this in advance from a local health food store

Midmorning snack
- 1 package poptarts
- fig newtons, breakfast bars, or breakfast danish

Lunch
- PowerMush (my own specially created high-cal dehydrated food) OR
- high calorie bagel with lots of PB (big "everything" bagels are
great, a couple of english muffins work great too)
- some sort of chips / crackers

Midafternoon snack
- 1 candy bar
- various cookies / crackers / nuts

Lateafternoon snack
- various cookies / crackers / nuts
- or sometimes a PB sandwich (great late afternoon snack)

Dinner
- PowerMush

Midnight snack
- 1 candy bar (usually a snickers)

Other relevant info ...

- Hot weather significantly reduced my normal insatiable appetite for
sweets and increased my desire for savory snacks

- Melted candy bars in hot weather weren't very enjoyable.  For some
reason the taste of the chocolate changed after constantly being
melted and resolidified.

- Cold weather sent my desire for sweets through the roof.

I hope that helps
-Teflon