[pct-l] dogmatism

Just for the record, I didn't write the quote below.  I quoted CMountainDave.

Providing wilderness advice is a risky venture.  Know your audience.

Ben

Hiker <hiker@godlikebuthumble.com> wrote:
At 08:49 AM 1/12/04, Ben Armstrong wrote:
>"Every situation is unique and every situation involving chance involves
>decisions of the
>moment, not rules"

Yes, this is absolutely true, and a long post explaining the pros and cons
of using a rope belay and explaining technique would have been more
technically accurate, but we live in a "sound-byte" culture where a short
and concise message is most likely to be read. Especially one where a
mishap would likely lead to death.

There have been MANY cases of a rope causing the death by drowning of the
person fording a swift creek by pulling and holding the forder under. So
many in fact that I was taught it is generally accepted that the forder
must have a quick release on the rope attachment.

Since most thru hikers are not going to have the correct equipment, nor the
experience using it, a short reply saying it is a bad thing to do makes
more sense to me.

I will make another dogmatic statement: "Leaving Kennedy Meadows in a
normal snow year without an Ice Axe, and the knowledge how to use it, is
risking death."

Use the delete key if I offend you.