[pct-l] Stream Crossings

In a message dated 1/7/2004 11:24:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
hiker@godlikebuthumble.com writes:

> [...]
Kerrick
Canyons are the ones that really scared me.<<<<<

As a solo hiker on the PCT, stream crossing were of concern to me...

I crossed the South Fork of the Kings River on 23rd of June this year, near
evening.  It was mid- thigh deep and running hard.  I crossed it at the trail
juncture, with poles, and it was a tad scary.  I would not have crossed any of
these without poles.

I crossed Evolution  on June 26th, fairly early in the morning.  It was waist
deep and moving slowly...other than puckering cold, it wasn't a problem.

Bear Creek was the most difficult, mid thigh deep and running hard.  I
crossed it at first light on June 28th.  There were pine branches that people had
left on both sides.

Crossing Kerrick on July 5, around 9am was not as difficult, IMHO, as Bear
Creek, but close.

Unless you plan of scouting up or down stream for an easier ford or natural
bridge, I feel poles are a must.