[pct-l] packs

Jim McEver writes: Lighter is not necessarily better. It is rarely the case
in a complex
system that optimizing a particular dimension of that system (pack
weight) will optimize the performance of the system as a whole

I have an Adventure -16 "Hiphugger" frame toploader pack from 1976 and I
won't trade it for anything. A-16 describes the waist belt as a 4 inch wide
piece of Ensolite sewn into heavy fabric.  Light green half-inch Ensolite
was THE sleeping pad of the 70's. Shoulder straps are 2 inches wide, same
contruction.  Shoulder strap buckles are steel. The two bolts that attach
the waist belt to the hiphugger frame are steel. All the zippers have steel
slides.  There are 8 steel grommets and pins that attach the pack to the
frame. I have added an additional zipper compartment to the bottom of the
pack which is big enough for a sleeping bag. I have added a tubular
drawstring compartment to the top which effectively doubles the volume of
the pack. When the expansion compartment is full, the pack is almost 5 feet
high. Due to the foreward tending hiphugger frame, the pack will stand up on
level ground.  It is probably the ugliest pack imaginable. One does not look
like one is climbing Everest wearing this pack. There is no ice ax loop, and
no mesh pockets at all.  But still, it looks more like a backpack than an
apparatus.

This is a frame pack with a ventilation panel between the frame sides.  It
keeps one wonderfully cool and ventilated, but it puts a couple of
horizontal inches between the soulders and the load. This makes the pack
feel a little "torquey" but you get used to it.  The waist belt is a
trapezoidal shape, narrow at the top. When properly worn with shoulder
straps adjusted, 100% of the weight is on the hips. The shoulder straps
carry no weight; they are purely for stability.  In 1976 (age 28) I carried
up to 48 lbs in the Sierra.  8 lb tent, aluminum GI canteens, cans and cans
of Hormel chilli, and a dozen fresh eggs.  Remember the Sierra cup?  How
about a Coleman white gas lantern? Anyway, the pack served me well then and
continues to be my only pack.  Just for grins, I tool out the postal scale
just now.  79 ounces.  I had guessed 96.  Just about any pack would weigh
less than my pack, but I doubt that my complete system, including bear can
and water hauling would be optimized by changing packs.  I'll bring this
pack to ADZPCTKO for anyone who wants to try it on with their own base
weight. Hike on !!  Bob Riess at the Trailhead in San Diego