[pct-l] packs

No desire to start a flame war, but be forewarned that heresy follows...

Lighter is not necessarily better. It is rarely the case in a complex
system that optimizing a particular dimension of that system (pack
weight) will optimize the performance of the system as a whole, and a
backpacker moving across the landscape is a relatively complex system.
There is an energy cost in simply standing upright with a pack on, and
the nature of the weight transfer to the body has a significant effect.
In my experience (operative phrase), this means at minimum a hip belt
(as opposed to waist belt) and some means to efficiently transfer weight
directly to the hips and legs. This can be accomplished by a very
compact load, rolled foam pads, etc, but this is generally at the
expense of a good fit against the curve of the back (comfort) and is not
as efficient as a frame or stays of some sort. I have found that some
from of rigid support greatly improves the carry and fit, and hence the
comfort, over a long day. As pack weights go up, this becomes more
critical. For me, anything more than 15# hanging from my shoulders is
uncomfortable - YMMV, of course. With a base pack weight of 15#, you
will more likely be pushing 40# in the waterless stretches, not 25#. You
may find that the extra 16 to 20 oz that a set of stays and a decent
hipbelt add will provide a good return on comfort, energy at the end of
the day, and overall enjoyment of the experience.

As for brands, I have had good experience with Dan McHale's packs. You
can get a pack in the 2 - 2 1/2 pound range that will actually support
that 40# load.

Regardless of your choice, good luck. It's all good.

Jim