[pct-l] Rain Gear

Are Frogg Toggs really any lighter?  I've been hearing a lot about them
lately but their web site doesn't give weights.  I read through the
reviews on BackpackGearTest and the weights tend to vary but seem to be
around 10-12 oz. which is the same as everything else.  It seems like the
lightest rain jacket from each different maker is about 12 oz.  The
lightest I've found so far is the Marmot Precip Anorak which they claim is
9 oz.  So far, that's the lightest rain jacket I've found anywhere -
that's both waterproof and breathable.  Is this consistent with everyone
else's knowledge.  I don't plan on wearing my rain gear often (I think
someone said they got about 10 days of precip on their 2003 PCT hike) so
lightweight is the most important feature to me (provided it fits half
way decent and isn't ridiculously expensive).

Steve

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Gary Monk wrote:

 > After several washings my "Precip" jacket and pants lost their water
 repellency and ever after retreating them they still don't shed the
 water.  I guess you could forgo the washing but they do begin to get
 rather ripe in warm weather.  I am now trying "Frog Toggs" which are
 lighter and cheaper but somewhat bulkier.  I haven't decided if they will
 work on the long haul.