[pct-l] Rain Gear

My Frogg Toggs anorak weighs in at 7.7 oz for the larger size.
I think the 12 oz quote that you've seen is for both the
pants and the anorak.

I took the anorak with me this summer and ended up using it more for
warmth and wind protection.  I got to Manning on Aug. 21 and had nothing
but great weather for the entire trip.  Well, it did snow on me north of
Tuolumne and I did get a few hours of mist and drizzle around Adams
and again around Glacier.

The fit on the Frogg Toggs anorak is awful, but I've heard that the
jacket has a better design.  I got two years of use (about 3300 miles)
out of mine before pitching it.  I'm now using a Rainshield jacket,
which has a similar weight and construction.

Suge

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Steve Setzer wrote:

> Are Frogg Toggs really any lighter?  I've been hearing a lot about them
> lately but their web site doesn't give weights.  I read through the
> reviews on BackpackGearTest and the weights tend to vary but seem to be
> around 10-12 oz. which is the same as everything else.  It seems like the
> lightest rain jacket from each different maker is about 12 oz.  The
> lightest I've found so far is the Marmot Precip Anorak which they claim is
> 9 oz.  So far, that's the lightest rain jacket I've found anywhere -
> that's both waterproof and breathable.  Is this consistent with everyone
> else's knowledge.  I don't plan on wearing my rain gear often (I think
> someone said they got about 10 days of precip on their 2003 PCT hike) so
> lightweight is the most important feature to me (provided it fits half
> way decent and isn't ridiculously expensive).
>
> Steve
>

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Gary Monk wrote:
>
>  > After several washings my "Precip" jacket and pants lost their water
>  repellency and ever after retreating them they still don't shed the
>  water.  I guess you could forgo the washing but they do begin to get
>  rather ripe in warm weather.  I am now trying "Frog Toggs" which are
>  lighter and cheaper but somewhat bulkier.  I haven't decided if they will
>  work on the long haul.
> > Gary Monk "Blaze"

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics