[pct-l] Snow lessons and ax question

I was wondering if anyone on this list who lives in the Portland/Gresham area in Oregon would be interested/willing to go with me to the snow sometime this winter and give me some self arrest lessons and general snow traveling tips? I have the Mountaineering, Freedom of the Hills book but would be a lot more comfortable with actual human teaching. There would be a Busters BBQ dinner in the deal. I am looking for a new ice ax as my old one is too short. I want something with a steel head, less than 100$, and under 1 lb. Any thoughts? Maybe another wannabe from the class of '04 would want to go and we could teach each other how to self arrest? Thanks.