[pct-l] digital camera phones.

> I just saw an ad in Time advertising a new picture
phone that has a 1.3 mega pixel capacity. For someone
like me who is not really into photography and has
relied on throwaway cameras in the past, I think the
quality would be good enough

If you really aren't too worried about photos from
your trip, this could be a possibility I suppose.  But
a 1.3 Mp camera really doesn't take adequate pictures,
IMHO.  And I doubt that the workings (e.g. lens, CCD)
of a phone-camera would be equal to the quality of
pics from a regular 1.3 Mp camera.

As I will want those pics from the top of Forester to
look as good as possible, I'm going with a 4 Mp Canon
S40 next year (fyi, this camera is now replaced by the
S45).  512 Meg compact flash memory cards are pretty
cheap these days (~$100), and you could store lots of
photos at a good resolution on a couple of those tiny
little cards.

If you're new to digital cameras and considering
buying one, make sure to read up on features /
resolution, etc. to make sure you get exactly what you
want.  Check out the digital photography info at:

CNET camera reviews:
reviews.cnet.com/Digital_cameras/2001-6501_7-0.html?tag=cnetfd.glnav

Steve's Digicams - extensive info and reviews:
www.steves-digicams.com/

What I found especially helpful in looking for a
camera is reviewing the NEGATIVE comments on CNET -
see if what people DIDN'T like about a camera was
something you agreed with.

Here's to lots of great digital pics of the PCT next year!