From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Gene Neagle
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 11:10 AM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Snow lessons and ax question

I was wondering if anyone on this list who lives in the Portland/Gresham
area in Oregon would be interested/willing to go with me to the snow
sometime this winter and give me some self arrest lessons and general
snow traveling tips? I have the Mountaineering, Freedom of the Hills
book but would be a lot more comfortable with actual human teaching.
There would be a Busters BBQ dinner in the deal. I am looking for a new
ice ax as my old one is too short. I want something with a steel head,
less than 100$, and under 1 lb. Any thoughts? Maybe another wannabe from
the class of '04 would want to go and we could teach each other how to
self arrest? Thanks.