[pct-l] d....hiking boots??

At 07:36 AM 12/1/2003 -0500, Gary Wright wrote:
>I was working on the assumption that it was very difficult to find
>any place on the PCT to purchase shoes and that I should plan on
>ordering them by phone and having them sent to a mail drop.

My feet went from size 11.5 to 13. I still wear 13s, but they are a looser
fit than when I was on the trail. Unless you know how much your feet will
grow and change shape, you may wish to buy your shoes as you go.

>Can anyone provide a short list of shoe-available resupply points?

Idyllwild - 1 small outfitter and 1 shoe store. Many people left with
Hi-Tech shoes from the shoe store.
Big Bear - a small outfitter, had an okay selection
Ridgecrest (has a Big 5 Sporting Goods store with running shoes), hitch
East at Walker Pass
Mammoth Lakes (a great selection in 2 outfitters)
South Lake Tahoe (many outfitters in the area and a Nike outlet store) -
You may get lucky and find a friendly person going there from Echo Lake.
Shasta City (great selection at a few outfitters) - instead of Dunsmir
(instead of Castella)
Quincy - 1 store with mediocre selection, hitch from Belden
Ashland - Great selection at 2 outfitters
Portland - REI and many, many outfitters, hitch from Cascade Locks

Others exist, these are just the places where I stopped and noticed shoes.

Tangent