[pct-l] hiking boots??

I don't know why you had problems or what type of trail runners you
wore.  I once mentioned to John Vonoff (author of "Fixing your Feet")
that perhaps some people litterally are "tenderfeet", and he seemed
to agree that people's feet are just build differently and some are
more delicate than others.  OTOH, Ray Jardine (author of many long
distance hiker books) seems to think that anyone can toughen their
feet enough to thru-hike in running shoes.

Personally, I have done the section that you are talking about in
running shoes twice.  Both times I wore plain ole' running shoes (not
trail runners) and both times I had no problems covering 20+ miles
per day.

I don't think age has much to do with it, as Jardine is in his 50's
if I am not mistaken.

Sorry I don't have any answers for you.  All I can say I sthat I
would never hike in boots again after getting used to running shoes
for hiking (climbing is a totally different story).  But "to each his
own" and what works for me might not work for you.  There is no right
or wrong footwear.

peace,
dude