[pct-l] ice axe length.

In a message dated 11/26/03 6:58:23 AM, edmond@mydogmeg.net writes:

<< help with balance. Yes, a long ax can be a hassle when crossing snow at a
45
>degree slope or better, but that certainly won't happen on the PCT
Imagine the north slope of Forester Pass is covered with snow and no trail
is visible; it would be possible to pick such a route.  I did.

I stand corrected. I would consider crossing Forester completely snow covered
to be a feat of mountaineering, not backpacking, especially if you kicked
your own steps.
 I remember trying to figure out what low point in the approaching ridge
would be Forester. When the trail started heading for a very steep part I kept
thinking, " No way. They couldn't possibly expect a horse to go over THAT". The
rock wall trail the CCC built blended in so well I couldn't discern it. With
the exception of Timberline Lodge and Muir Hut, perhaps the finest example of
CCC architecture along the PCT is the trail up Forester