[pct-l] maps

In a message dated 11/13/2003 1:06:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Steven.Setzer@Colorado.EDU writes:

> What do thru-hikers generally use for maps?  I have the guide books and
> plan on taking the appropriate sections for my 04 thru-hike. The maps in
> the guide book cover the whole trail but not much beyond them.  If you
> make a wrong turn, I think you could quickly get off the map.  Do most
> people also carry larger scale maps or just the guide book maps?

I think you'll find the PCT is a fairly easy trail to follow.  About the only
time I looked at the maps were when hitting snow, especially on the north
side of a pass where when the trail was covered, you want to shoot for the
correct side of the lake below along the lines of where the trail supposed to be and
at road crossing, where the trail picks up.

I didn't find the need for any other maps, although I believe there are some
fairly good one for the High Sierra and OR and WA.

YMMV,

Sly