[pct-l] maps

At 10:33 AM 11/13/2003 -0700, Steve Setzer wrote:
>What do thru-hikers generally use for maps?

Most use the guide book maps. A few who are really into hitch hiking will
also carry a road map. A few use the maps from http://www.hikertrash.net/

>The maps in
>the guide book cover the whole trail but not much beyond them.  If you
>make a wrong turn, I think you could quickly get off the map.

Every time I got lost, and it happened to me more than most, it was because
I was too lazy to look at the maps. Since most of the trail is so well
marked, you can be lulled in to a false sense of confidence. It's better to
read ahead with the guide book and the maps.

When lost I'd simply turn around and head back to the trail. I never went
more than an hour off-trail. Save once, but due to local landmarks, I was
painfully aware of where I was.

A friend got lost at the ski resort before Donner Pass. As I came to
Highway 40, she pulled up in a car. She was embarrassed and admitted she
was paying more to her CD player than where the trail was going.

You'll be fine.

Tangent