[pct-l] PCT Trail Info and Closures from the PCTA

The PCTA has requested that I post the following to the PCT-List;

<<<
The newest information comes from Washington -- Gary Paull told me that the
area from Red Pass to Miners Creek looks like the photos of Mt Helens after
it erupted.

Here is the info:

These are general trail conditions only, as of Wednesday, October 29, 2003.
They will be updated only as needed throughout the remainder of the season.
Remember, this information is only as accurate as the people who report it,
so the PCTA cannot guarantee its accuracy.

The PCT is open and passable except for the following:

Due to the major fires burning in Southern California

?? ? the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park is serving as evacuation center for
citizens of that region and recommends that hikers not venture into the park
at this time.

?? ? The Cleveland, San Bernardino and Angeles National Forests are closed to
all recreation use

?? ? Also, the trail is closed from the south fork of the Kern River to Gomez
Pass due to the Summit Fire.

?? ? In Oregon the PCT is closed in the Mt Jefferson Wilderness from Highway
22
to Hunts Cove due to the B & B Complex fire.? This section of the PCT will
not open until next season.

?? ? Due to the major storms and subsequent flooding in Washington major
damage
has occurred to the Pacific Crest Trail and many bridges on the PCT have
been washed away in the Glacier Peak Wilderness from Red Pass to Miners
Creek.? If you are planning to hike in Washington check with the various
agencies along the trail for specific information.

These closures will be in effect until conditions improve.

We will update this message if the trail is affected by other fires or
natural disasters.? For more detailed information, please check our website
(www.pcta.org).