[pct-l] Mail Drops - Cajon Pass, Pink Motel, Quincy, Timberline?

Just some comments from my 2000 hike:

Pink Motel - do call to make sure that it is OK to send packages. They have
been doing it for some time now.

Cajon Pass - we decided against a resupply there because of the long, dry
trek up to Guffy Campsite. We hitched out down to Wrightwood for an
overnight and resupply. Hardware store was great. Thought carrying one extra
day of food was better than carrying several days from the pass. Actually,
didn't need the extra day because the stores and fast food places at the
pass were fine for a day's worth of food.

Kennedy Meadows (south) food supply: OK if there isn't a run on everything.
If they are short, I would beg at the restaurants for something.

Quincy from Belden - well, it is a long hitch. And the guidebook does say
there is another way there. But, it is off the trail.  You can't count on
the store at Belden. I would send myself a resupply at Belden.

Timberline Lodge - They charge a fee, but otherwise it should be OK. The
lodge is always open, but don't know where the packages are kept. Never have
used it. You can hitch down to Government Camp (about 8 miles). It is only
about 1 1/2 days to Cascade Locks from the Lodge.

Another place not always noted: Etna - great grocery store and small town.
Nice place for a layover. There is a very hiker friendly hostel.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@comcast.net