[pct-l] Mail Drops - Cajon Pass, Pink Motel, Quincy, Timberline?

It looks like you are planning to send yourself food on the trail,
so what I have to say won't help too much.  But, it is on topic
and might help those who are not sure how to get food on the trail.

Cajon Pass:  I didn't send a mail drop to Cajon Pass, but you can easily
resupply out
of the gas station there.  According to the twisted rubric than Will and
I used on the trail to grade resupply points, this was the best resupply
spot on the trail.  A normal grading would see it as a fair place.

Kennedy Meadows:  I came in with the bulk of hikers and there was plenty
of food.  Two days would be a snap.  You could probably stretch out 10,
but it would be a bit monotonous.

VVR:  You didn't ask, but I'll add it anyways. The place was well stocked
with food, most of which was about the same price as what you would pay
in a store.  Denatured by the ounce along with cannisters and white gas.
There is absolutely no reason to send a mail drop here.  It costs $10 to
pick up and my package cost $7 in postage (from Agua Dulce).  All that
for 3 days of supplies?  Even if, for some odd reason, there was nothing
at all to eat, I am pretty sure the kitchen would get you enough food to
make it to Reds Meadow.

Quincy:  Long way off the trail.  You can resupply in Belden, although
I really disliked the place when I went through.  The Belden PO is
not in the "town" part, but rather up the street.  Signs indicate
some sort of hostel has gone up in the area.  I didn't stop to
investigate, leaving as quickly as I could shower and drink
a Sierra Nevada.  Better
keep going to Chester, which is only a day and a half up the trail,
is an easy 8 mile hitch, and is at the half way point.  Plus,
the Kopper Kettle ties for the best breakfast on the trail.
Both Will and I actually had to work to finish our standard
omelet special + shortstack combo.  Very tasty food.

Chris

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Karen Borski wrote:

> Couple of questions for recent thru-hikers regarding
> mail drops - I thought I would ask the list before
> making phone calls to the folks or post offices at
> these locales.
>
> Pink Motel:  do Don and Helen mind receiving mail
> drops at their place?  Their address is listed in the
> guidebook, and I can call them to check.  But I
> thought a recent thru-hiker might know whether they
> were cool with being used as a drop location.  (I
> know...I'll miss the great selection in Cabazon and
> seeing the dinosaurs...) (and I don't want to go into
> Palm Springs either)
>
> Cajon Pass:  anyone ever used the Economy Inn place
> near the Interstate as a drop?  Was it OK?  They are
> also listed in the guidebook, and I do plan on staying
> a night with them.
>
> Kennedy Meadows:  how was the food selection last
> year?  OK for two days if you aren't picky?  (I'm
> going into Lone Pine 2 days after KM)
>
> Quincy:  not listed in guidebooks, PCTA site or
> Craig's planner as a place to get mail.  So, I looked
> them up on the Internet - 222 St. Lawrence St., Quincy
> 95971.  Any reason they aren't a typical trail town?
>
> Timberline Lodge:  any reason NOT to have
> friends/family sending mail and stuff to them?  I'm
> worried they are slow, limited hours or charge a fee,
> though I haven't seen any info to this effect.  I plan
> to send a food drop there.
>
> Woo!  Getting excited - started dehydrating seriously
> just last week, so the house smells "hiker-ish."
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Nocona

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics