[pct-l] Start Date for the PCT

Hi Barclay,

I am responding to your question about the start date
for a PCT hike.   I only have a recommendation for
part of your questions.

 I don't profess to know anything about what day to
start, other than what others have done.  A start date
to coincide with the Kick-off gathering is very
popular.

I do know something about the border area around
Campo, however.  First, you can't just walk across the
border in Campo.  There is a solid 7' corrugated steel
fence which runs for miles in either direction.  The
nearest legal boarder crossing point is about 20 miles
to the west at Tecate.  You could carry a shovel and
dig under the fence and cross, as many drug smugglers
and illegal immigrants do; or you could carry a ladder
and jump over.  However, if you get caught in the act,
you will go to jail, courtesy of the border patrol.
Unlike the Canadian border, there is a very active
border enforcement effort going on in the south.  They
employ heat sensors, sound detection, arial patrols,
foot patrols, and most border sections are under
observation by a mounted border agent at least part of
every day.  Still, people do get through on a regular
basis, so it is possible.  There is a large border
patrol HQ about 1/2 mile north of the PCT starting
point, so there are plenty of federal officers in the
vicinity of the PCT.  This is good for hikers—it keeps
them safe, but bad for fence jumpers as they are prone
to getting caught.

It is very dangerous, not from the average migrant
worker crossing illegally, but from the "coyotes" and
other smugglers who will use deadly force to get away
if they think you are a border officer. If you doubt
the viciousness of drug smugglers and the danger they
pose, you are making a serious mistake.  Frequently,
drugs and illegal immigrants come over together, so
you can’t be sure who you are running into out in this
fairly desolate area.

I would highly recommend you not try to cross the
border in Campo.  Instead, cross legally at San
Ysidro, go to downtown Tijuana and enjoy the sites.
I'm sure you'll get enough desert hiking on you trek
north on the PCT as it is.  Judging by the entries in
the journals, most people do.  Good luck on your hike!

Just one San Diegoian's opinion.