[pct-l] Hiking Poles

Hi there,
I am a big fan of the hiking poles, as I got older I found my balance was
not as good, I use them for rock hopping, crossing streams and logs etc. As
well as going up and down
hills. My knees are still in good shape and I think it is due to using the
poles. (or else hiking downhill with a bended knee). They are also used for
holding up my tarp tent.

I have tried the Leki and a few other models which need to be adjusted by
turning  the adjustments tightly. This was a bummer for me as I have
arthritic hands.  After a few times  not getting the adjustment tight enough
and then putting weight on that pole and having it collapse under me, I
switched to the 'Black Diamond Poles with the Flicklock mechanism'.
These are easy to adjust, they do have several models.  I do not like the
spring mechanism
Nor do I like straps on my poles, so I take them off. This gives me the
freedom to let go of that pole if I need to.  Maybe that comes from to many
years of skiing and falling with the pole twisted under my body.

Cheers,
Marge   [The Old Gal]
http://www.prothman.org/marge