[pct-l] Resupply details

Skaggs isn't "hosting" people (i.e, laborers) anymore.  White's was a nice
stay this summer  Big Lake Youth Camp is not at mile 1944.7, contrary
to what various data books list.  It is actually past Sisters, which is
at mile 1984.  There is a PO in Crater Lake NP, about 4 miles up the
road from Mazama campground towards the rim.  Don't send a maildrop,
though, as the store in Mazama was really well supplied and quite
cheap.  Don't bother sending yourself alcohol in the mail.  It is
pretty widely available. Mojave, strangely enough, had neither HEET nor
denatured.  Rather odd.

Chris

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Dave Blumenthal wrote:

> Greetings all!  I appreciate all of the valuable information shared here.
> So, some questions in preparation for 2004.
>
> 213.5 Pink Motel
> As I understand, the Middleton's accept maildrops. Does anyone have the
> address?  Perhaps it is in the archives somewhere, but I was unable to
> find it.
>
> 516.0 Richard Skaggs
> How did he work out for folks?
>
> 563.7 White's Motel
> Any news on the status of the Motel?
>
> 1944.7 Big Lake Youth Camp
> Is the camp a reliable maildrop, and do they have particular mailing
> requirements?
>
> 2233.1 Trout Lake
> It doesn't seem that people use this town.  Is it really customary to haul
> from Cascade Locks all the way to White Pass?
>
> I am familiar with the rules for shipping alcohol fuel via USPS
> The following places (not that ALL of these drops are necessary) ONLY
> accept UPS:
> Kennedy Meadows Resort and Pack Station (Sonora Pass), Hyatt Lake Resort,
> Fish Lake Resort, Crater Lake, Shelter Cove Resort
>
> However, if you talk to the UPS "Hazardous Materials" folks at
> 800-554-9964 about methyl alcohol (Methanol UN1230), they will only ship
> it for those with commercial licenses.  So, what is the generally accepted
> strategy, just sneak in a bottle, or just carry more from a previous
> legitimate resupply?
>
> Thanks
> Sasquatch (Dave Blumenthal)

Christopher Willett