[pct-l] trail work in Section N

John, Larry and Michael.

Words fail me in thanking you for all your hard work yesterday on the Pacific Crest Trail.

I approached John Lyons after hiking the 4.5 miles of the trail from the Domingo Springs Trail Head to the border of Lassen Volcanic National Park.  A friend and I hiked under, over and/or around 45 plus blow downs on our hike in mid-August. Each tree I came to I became increasing angered and embarrassed that there were that many blow downs in such a short distance in the region of which I am responsible. I was sorry the through hikers, and, day hikers had to face such miserable obstacles.

I decided at that point I was not going to assign blame or place my anger anywhere other than back onto the downed timber and see to its removal as quick as possible. After contacting John it took just a few more e-mails and we had three men and myself scheduled to hit the 4.5 mile stretch for what we thought would be two full days of solid work.  Little did I know we'd finish after one marathon day of hard work by all four of us.

All three of you gentleman are to be congratulated on being so giving of all your time, energy, gasoline (we are over $2.00/gallon in this part of the world) tools and stock animals.  I thank you most sincerely for coming through for me, and, for making me proud to work along side you. I, and all hikers of the PCT, owe each of you a debt of gratitude. If only there were more people such as yourselves the entire length of the PCT would be debris free.

Thank you.

JoAnn M. Michael
Regional Coordinator, Northern California
Pacific Crest Trail Association