[pct-l] Digital vs. "Regular" Cameras: a weight comparison

To those in the know:

I am considering bringing my trusty Olympus Stylus
35mm camera with me on the PCT next year.  It has
survived over 4500 miles of hiking in the last 5 years
and has given me something priceless: great photos,
hundreds of them.  It's light and low-cost and has
never ever failed me.

But now I am thinking about going digital.  Main
reason is that I don't like the pollution created by
35mm film.  Kodak has traditionally been a huge
corporate polluter for that reason.

My QUESTION is this:  what is the bottom line
regarding weight for similar sized cameras - digital
vs. 35mm?  Do you have to bring "extras" with the
digital, such as a battery charger and memory sticks?
Do you carry the "extras" or bump them ahead?  Are you
more limited by the digital regarding how many photos
you can take?

This is coming from someone who knows very little
about digital photography (obviously).

Many thanks in advance,
Nocona