[pct-l] Sec. H - White Pass to Cascade Locks

The Goat Rocks section is one of the most beautiful of the whole trail - as
long as it is clear. You really feel like you are on a knife edge. Camp near
the high point near Old Snowy and just beyond the Packwood Glacier (going
south). About a day from White Pass.

The Packwood Glacier can be icy - for me on two occasions the most dangerous
of the whole 2650 miles. It is short, but if you must go across and don't
have an ice axe, wait until the snow softens up (if it will). I did it in
running shoes and a rock. Oh my! You also could go over the top with little
trouble (just exertion).  However, in other years there is no problem. The
spot is short (100 yards or less).

Bears? they scare off if they are around. Mice? they eat through tents.
Wouldn't worry about the creatures.

There can be some tricky stream crossings if there is high water, but not
bad. Should be enough drinking water.

There is a post office, restaurant in Trout Lake. Folks have stopped.
Thought I had the post office info, but can't find it. I read about it on
this list.

Section from Panther Creek to Columbia: you choose either the road (short
but hard surface) or the trail (lots of ups and downs with few really good
scenic views). Your choice.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@attbi.com