[pct-l] thru-hiking in 2005

John

I belong to a K-9 hiking group. I would not recommend taking a dog on a thru
hike on the PC. You will perhaps experience temperatures well above 100
degrees. You have rattlesnakes sunning themselves right on the trail. One bite can
finish your dog. I never want to take my dog in temperature over 85 degrees and
this is with cover. In the low and high desert you will not have cover. I
live in the LA area and will only hike my dog in the low or high desert in the
winter. You may find streams that you dog can't cross, snow to deep.  If you use
a lease you will deprive your dog from finding shade and water. They can
smell water and find shade that you may not be aware of. I seem people start out
with dogs and very shortly decide to take them of the trail. You have National
Parks and Wilderness Areas were you can't take a dog. There will also be
state, county and city parks that don't allow dogs. Wish you and your dog well.

lonetrail