[pct-l] Seed bar

I was clearing out the freezer and found some "seed bars" that I had made
in 1998.  Ever curious amidst household drudgery, I gave one of them a
nibble and found them as tasty and crispy as the day they were made.  The
following is from a post that I sent to the list at the time:

have made a "seed bar" which my husband and I managed to eat (an entire
batch) sitting down in front of the TV(various evenings).  IN the first
batch, I forgot to add the ground flax seeds, it was really yummy, but
lacking some of the fatty acids that I wanted.  The second batch with the
flax seeds is not near as tasty, but still pretty good.   I used probably
equal quantities of ground flax seed (used a coffee grinder), sunflower
seeds, seaseme seeds, chopped pecans, coconut, malt sugar, and brown rice
syrup.  the brown rice syrup is the only thing with moisture, so it takes
quite a bit of mixing to get  it evenly sticky.   I thinnly greased a cooky
sheet and pressed the mess on to the sheet, and then scored it into bars by
pressing lines with a spatula.  I dried the bars in a warm oven until
brittle. Be sure that you turn the bars about half way thru drying or you
will never get them off the cookie sheet.  I can get all the ingredients
except the rice syrup in bulk  at my local food co-op so I can make as much
or as little as I want and the ingredients are fresh. I store the bars in a
large glass jar in the freezer; I do not know the shelf life out of the
freezer, but anything with a lot of fat can go rancid fairly fast. In the
second batch I also added about twice as much oatmeal as any one of the
other ingredients ( I wanted some more CHO), but I think that it has made
the bar too "dry".  As you can imagine, this seed bar is high in fat.
Nevertheless, I see it as more nuitritous than pigging out on cashews, and
there is a need at times for more fat and some variety.   I have a times
been disappointed at the way GORP tends to become stale, and would on
occaision rather eat my variety in separate chuncks in separate bags.

Peace
Goforth