[pct-l] attitude shift?

I don't think that we need to worry about whether today's hikers are hiking
for the trail experience or the town experience.  Both are vali experiences.
Let them have fun.  I did one hike where the trail was nothing but a
miserable obstacle between food and water points.  I did another where I
scarcely left the trail for anything and spent not a night in town (except
at the Sauffleys).  Both were exceptional experiences.  I probably have more
fond memories from the town oriented trip even though it was shorter.  The
encounters with kind people shaped my whole life perspective.  Again, on the
trail oriented trip, that one night at the Sauffleys was a highlight.  It
also reshaped my perspective on life.  (And motivated me to set up a guest
house for climbers here in Joshua Tree.)

 One comment I would make with regard to trail angels is that I don't think
that water caches are a good idea.  Sure, they make the journey easier, but
I think that they rob the hikers of one of the most remarkable desert
experiences to be had.  That is, finding a life giving trickle of water
seeping from a barren dry mountainside in the desert.  Springs are such a
miracle.  To bypass the desert springs is to miss one of the highlights of
the trail.  You just can't know or understand the desert or chaparral lands
without seeking out the springs.  I would guess that only a tiny fraction of
today's hikers visit Live Oak, Cedar, Lost Valley, Storm Canyon, Chariot
Canyon or any of the other amazing springs.

Another negative of water caches is that you can never be 100% sure it will
be full, so you still need to carry water.  I think a far more useful aid to
hikers would be a network of spring checkers who could verify the flows in
their area and then phone the info to someone who could post it in an
appropriate location.