[pct-l] attitude shift?

At 09:54 AM 5/17/03, jape wrote:
>the trail seems to have
>become a nuisance which must be endured until the
>real goal of a Rest Day has been reached.  And,
>this year, there seems to be a greater lack of
>style in how one attains that goal than in past
>years.

I think you are noticing the difference in attitude between the make up of
pack that starts out, and the pack that actually makes it a thousand miles
or so.

After attending several ADZPCTKOPs, I've come to realize that I don't
really enjoy fraternizing with the current years class nearly as much as I
do with former thru-hikers. After giving it quite a bit of thought, I
decided the difference is not a matter of shared experience, but a matter
of common temperament.

Whether a PCT thru-hike changes a person, or whether the thu-hike just
weeds out the folks without this temperament, that I don't know. Probably
some of both.

In any event, most of the 'cry-babies' will be off the trail by Big Bear,
and probably none of them will make it to Kennedy Meadows. By then the
trail journals have become the inspiring documents you remember from
previous years.

--
Brick Robbins

All that is gold does not glitter,