[pct-l] RE: Vegan Food

James, I hope you get this message before you leave.  I'm now only a
little behind reading PCT-L. Bring oil, lots of oil.  You will need
calories.  Pour olive oil on your hummus.  Pour corn oil on your
polenta.  You get the idea. Stuff yourself with protein.  Almond butter
and peanut butter for lunch.  Eat nuts.

You can do a thru-hike as a vegan but it takes either a very special
body or a fastidious person.  So many people (even without diet
restrictions) fail because they don't take in enough calories.  I even
think that nutritional degradation that is invisible on a shorter hike
becomes an issue on a 5 or 6 month hike.

Oh, and they are not cheap but Organic Food Bar makes a vegan version.
Look for the yellow pkg in a health food store.  800 246-4685.  Very
yummy for a non-sugar eater.

John B./Cupcake
"A vegan who eats meat: no wheat, no dairy, no sugar/honey/corn syrup,
etc."
PCT 2002